What’s your wild business idea?
Known as “The Jungle Girl”, Tamara Jacobi is the founder of the Tailwind Jungle Lodge and author of Wildpreneurs (HarperCollins Leadership, Feb. 2020)—a guidebook for turning passion into business. The book is also an adventure story that tells of creation of the Tailwind Jungle Lodge alongside the wisdom and experience of fellow Wildpreneurs globally. Tamara’s jungle lodge on the Mexican Pacific attracts international guests seeking inspiration, adventure and fresh perspective.
Born in Vermont and raised in Quebec, Tamara’s free-spirit was sparked by family expeditions on a shoestring budget that included mountaineering Mexico’s volcanos, bike-packing the USA’s Continental Divide and kayaking the Sea of Cortez. Her journey continued at Middlebury College (VT) where she attended a class called Entrepreneurship 101. On graduation day (Feb. 2007), she skied down a mountain with a Wall Street job opportunity in one hand and a plan for her dream business in the other. She looked beyond the status quo, tuned into what makes her come alive, and headed to the jungle!
In this episode, Tamara dives deep into her story. Tamara always chases what makes her come alive – her free-spirited upbringing allows her to dream big. Tamara says life is all about creating a world that you love. It’s essential to find the people that are going to make you stronger and help you along your journey. Plus, it is so empowering to know that other people are going through a similar journey. Our challenges and obstacles are crucial to growth, and your tribe can assist you along the way.
Later, Tamara and I speak about why we need to slow down in order to find inspiration. When we slow down, we find the energy and space to create all sorts of new ideas. During COVID-19, we need to be very intentional. It’s a useful exercise on what it means to be human. There is so much that we can receive that we wouldn’t have otherwise. Plus, we talk about the importance of being present, why we need to take care of ourselves first, and the challenges of working with your family.
In This Episode:
- About Tamara Jacobi [ 1:30 ]
- Find the people that make you stronger [ 13:10 ]
- Why Tamara moved to the jungle [ 25:20 ]
- About slowing down to find inspiration [ 30:00 ]
- How living in the jungle is challenging [ 37:20 ]
- What it’s like being in business with family [ 49:15 ]
- About Wildpreneurs [ 53:55 ]
- How Tamara found the red heels [ 55:45 ]
- Find the gift of mindfulness [ 61:55 ]
- “Work and play blur together.”
- “Find those people that pick you up, dust you off, and make you stronger.”
- “The challenge is part of the journey.”
- “Become a master of artful mistake making.”
- “When you’re passionate about something, you can get through the speedbumps that throw you off.”
- “The basics will take you far.”
- Sara’s Facebook
- Live Boldly
- Wildpreneurs: www.wildpreneurs.com
- Wildpreneurs on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wildpreneurs/
- Wildpreneurs on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/wildpreneurs/
- Tailwind Jungle Lodge: www.tailwindjunglelodge.com
- Tailwind Jungle Lodge on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/tailwindjunglelodge
- Tailwind Jungle Lodge on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tailwindjunglelodge/