The Science Behind Nature Healing with Florence Williams
Did you know that our connection to nature is much more important to our cognition than we think? Dive into this interview with Florence Williams to discuss the science behind nature healing.
Florence Williams is a journalist, author, and podcaster. She is a contributing editor at Outside Magazine and a freelance writer for the New York Times, New York Times Magazine, National Geographic, The New York Review of Books, Slate, Mother Jones and numerous other publications.
She is also the writer and host of two Gracie-Award-winning Audible Original series, Breasts Unbound and The Three-Day Effect, as well as Outside Magazine’s Double-X Factor podcast, and is the author of The Nature Fix: Why Nature Makes us Happier, Healthier, and More Creative.
In this episode, Florence (my soul-sister) and I have an in-depth conversation about nature-healing and nature-therapy. We talk about how nature affects our brains and our body. For instance, a brain study found that our prefrontal cortex will deactivate during a walk in nature. At the end of the walk, people will have fewer negative thoughts. It’s one of the reasons why nature-therapy is so powerful. Tune in as we talk about the benefits of meditation and the inspiration behind Florence’s book, The Nature Fix.
In This Episode:
- About Florence Williams [ 1:00 ]
- How we can feel better during the pandemic [ 8:10 ]
- What happens to our brains when we are in nature [ 11:30 ]
- The importance of reconnecting to our senses [ 16:55 ]
- How much nature time we need monthly [ 20:20 ]
- The inspiration behind The Nature Fix [ 25:35 ]
- How nature will comfort people with PTSD [ 28:00 ]
- The benefits of meditation in nature [ 34:10 ]
- “When we experience awe, we feel like we are connected to something larger than ourselves.”
- “We need to feel a sense of collectivity.”
- “Nature can provide comfort.”
- “Walking helps you get in a different brain state.”
- “Being physical is very healthy and grounding for the body.”
- Sara’s Facebook
- Live Boldly
- Walk Through This
- Join My Retreats
- Florence’s Website
- Florence’s Instagram
- Florence’s Facebook
- The Nature Fix: Why Nature Makes Us Happier, Healthier, And More Creative
More From Live Boldly: