How are you best supporting your children in this world?
Have you or they experienced twists and turns that leave you searching and grasping on your journey parenting through trauma?
Sylvia Farbstein has spent the last 2 decades learning how life presents us with unexpected twists and turns that can shake us to our core, stop us in our tracks or provide a catalyst for exciting change. Her professional world took a leap from the predictable and defined realm of private banking in New York City to one of few answers and no blueprint when her son, 21-year-old Brandon, was diagnosed with a rare form of dwarfism. Their experiences navigating a world not built for somebody like him prompted them to seek out ways to neither be confined nor defined by limitations, perceived or otherwise. This has led to an entrepreneurial career path for both mother and son that has impacted millions of lives.
In this episode, we have an in-depth conversation about raising your child when there is trauma within the family. Sylvia says that we can make a real change in someone’s life by making positive statements. Plus, Sylvia speaks about how her family has gone through an evolution. All of their experiences have impacted how they became and who they are.
Later, Sylvia explains how our children have incredible resiliency and strength. At the very least, our children need their parents to show up authentically for their spirits. One day, Sylvia realized that she had no control over the path of Brandon’s life. She learned to let go and let Brandon live on his own journey. Tune in as we talk about parenting despite challenges, how Sylvia and Brandon are navigating Covid, and what Sylvia would tell a former version of herself.
In This Episode:
- About Sylvia Farbstein [ 2:20 ]
- How Sylvia found hope after Brandon’s diagnosis [ 10:40 ]
- Who Brandon is today [ 16:10 ]
- The importance of showing up authentically for your kids [ 30:20 ]
- Learning to be okay with the obstacles in life [ 37:10 ]
- How Brandon and Sylvia are navigating pandemic challenges [ 43:45 ]
- What Sylvia would tell a former version of herself [ 49:10 ]
Find Sylvia Online:
- “Embrace all the differences.”
- “We don’t have to protect our kids from the hard stuff.”
- “When we surrender to the outcome, it’s not always going to be good.”
- “Sometimes, you have to show up and encourage people to try new things.”
- “Now is the time for us to take more risks and put ourselves out there.”
- “Life is not going to unfold like you think it will. Be open to the journey.”
- “Show your kids that life does not end because there’s a pandemic.”
- Sara’s Facebook
- Live Boldly
- Walk Through This
- Join My Retreats
- Speak Beyond Words on Facebook
- Speak Beyond Words on Instagram
- Speak Beyond Words on LinkedIn
- Brandon’s Instagram
More From Live Boldly: